One of the greatest compliments that I receive is having someone mistake this 30 something face for that of a 20 something year old. When I was younger, it would bother me because like all women, I wanted to seem mature. However, as the years have piled on (even I have to do the math sometimes to be sure 32 is the correct number), I am flattered to have such a youthful appearance.
One of the things that I attribute this good fortune, aside from good genes, is taking care of my skin. Here are 5 tips to help you look young and fabulous:
- Moisturize. I can stress enough how important it is to use a moisturizer after cleansing your face. I have tried toners in the past and haven’t been convinced of their usefulness but moisturizing is essential to maintaining your skins elasticity and keeping it looking fresh and hydrated.
- SPF. No matter what you skin complexion, everyone needs some protection from the harmful rays emitted from the sun. Many moisturizers come with or without SPF but I never buy one that doesn’t have it.
- Exfoliate. I love to exfoliate my whole body at least once a week and before special occasions. It’s somewhat gross but I love to see the dead skin cells following down the drain. Removing the layer of dead skins feels so refreshing and makes your skin glow. Just as your body needs exfoliating, so does your face. How often will depend on how sensitive your skin is but look in the mirror afterwards and you won’t be able to stop smiling.
- Hydrate. Drinking water also helps to keep your skin looking fresh from head to toe and has numerous other benefits for your overall health.
- Wash every night. It seems that most people think washing your face in the morning is essential (which it is to remove the drool stains and eye boogers) but your face also needs cleansing in the evening to remove all of the dirt and grime that it has been exposed to during the course of the day.
Nothing great happens overnight so don’t get frustrated if you don’t see results immediately. Develop a skin care regime and stick with it. Just remember, it doesn’t matter how much you pay for the products as long as you buy items that are appropriate for your skin type. The same is true for men, there are now specialty lines of men’s skin care products so you guys no longer have an excuse for not taking care of yourself or feeling like skin care products are too girly.
Did I miss anything? Share a tip or two that you use to maintain fabulous skin…